Find out about the Competition Section and our executive committee
The Law Society’s Competition Section works to bring together professionals in the UK and Brussels to discuss and further the understanding of current issues in competition law. We build closer links and help promote candid dialogue between members of the profession and officials at the institutions they work with.
The Competition Section continues the work of the Law Society’s European Group. We help competition practitioners engage in dialogue and debate through a full programme of events, which we aim to make as accessible as possible to all current and future members of the profession.
Our activities include:
- Evening meetings in the UK and Brussels.
- Our flagship annual conference, which provides the chance to learn first-hand from people who are making policy and working on the leading cases, including senior agency officials, barristers, economists and other leading practitioners.
- Our annual dinner, where members will hear from distinguished speakers from government and the authorities.
- Opportunites to engage with other members and officials of the UK and EU competition authorities.
Officers and committee members
The current president of the Competition Section is Professor Richard Whish. He accepted the position in 2002, as the successor to Diana Guy.
- Chair: Sarah Jordan: Kirkland & Ellis International LLP
- Vice-chair: Davina Garrod: Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Andrea Appella: 21st Century Fox
- Frances Barr
- Carole Begent: Competition Commission
- Alastair Chapman: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Richard Eccles: Bird & Bird LLP
- Cameron Firth
- Chloe MacEwen
- Becket McGrath: Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
- Greg Olsen: Clifford Chance
- Matthew O’Regan: Burges Salmon
- Paula Riedel: Linklaters
- Andre Pretorius: Herbert Smith LLP
- Ian Rose: Salans
- Nigel Seay: Travers Smith LLP
- Omar Shah: Latham & Watkins
- Stephen Smith: RPC
- Isabel Taylor: Slaughter and May
- Sarah Turnbull : King & Wood Mallesons LLP
- Philip Wareham: Hill Dickinson LLP
- Graeme Young: Dundas & Wilson LLP
- Gavin Bushell, Baker & Mckenzie - Chair
- Peter Citron, Lovells LLP
- John Boyce, Slaughter and May
- Rachel Cuff, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
- Claire Harris, Avisa Partners
- Michael Reynolds, Allen & Overy LLP
- David Wood, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP