We are is holding a free one-day skills event, aimed at trainees, newly qualified solicitors (NQs) and solicitors up to five years’ PQE.
The aim is to equip those who are at the start of their careers with skills and advice necessary to progress, diversify and develop within the legal profession.
Join us for presentations, discussion and activities which will be of value and assistance to both those who are approaching qualification and those who have begun to acquire PQE, with speakers who are highly regarded and experienced in their field.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Sessions are as follows:
- Lawtech: Be in the know
- Everything you need to know about instructing third parties: The dos and don’ts, along with some top tips, of instructing third parties as a junior solicitor
- The moral code for ethical lawyers: Avoiding trouble and how to make sure you don’t breach the SRA Code of Conduct
- Overcoming adversity and achieving your career goals: Facing challenges? This panel discussion will be offering advice to junior lawyers on how to overcome adversity in the legal sector
- So, you reached your dream of qualifying as a solicitor but what’s next? This panel session offers delegates the opportunity to consider the next steps in their career
- Calling time on booze culture: How to achieve healthy and mindful networking in your legal career
- The importance of public funding: Why are we celebrat ing legal aid 70 years on? This session aims to consider the importance of public funding and access to justice 70 years after legal aid was introduced
- Forget assessment centres: Is your next assessment the associate development programme? Over recent years the next leap from newly qualified solicitor is associate and many firms are introducing tailor-made associate development programmes. This session looks at what the programme tends to consist of and what firms are looking for in associates
Format of the day
The forum is a full day event running from about 10am to 4.30pm and involving a series of five or six 45 to 50 minute presentations on various aspects of legal practice and management.
It will be followed by a networking drinks reception until about 6pm. These timings are approximate until the programme has been confirmed.
Who should attend the forum?
The event is for trainees, newly qualified solicitors and solicitors up to five years’ qualified.
Individual 30-minute CV clinics will be running throughout the day for delegates seeking a newly qualified solicitor position.
Registered delegates will be notified by email around a fortnight ahead of the event with further information and clinic appointment reservation instructions - be prepared to send an up-to-date CV with your appointment request in order to secure a place.
Appointments are limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
Date and location details
Date: Saturday 21 September 2019
Time: The forum is a full day event starting at about 10am, finishing at about 4.30pm and followed by a networking drinks reception until about 6pm. Timings are approximate at this stage.
Venue: The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL
Cost of event: This event is free to attend