What is the International Division?

The International Division was our corporate membership programme for non-SRA registered solicitors. It was closed on 1 January 2020. Our international work is important to many of our members. We have reviewed our approach as part of our work to improve our impact and will be making all of our international resources available through our main website next year, after which the separate International Division website will no longer be available.

We will continue to work with our stakeholders and support our member’s business development through practical support. You can reach out our team at international@lawsociety.org.uk who can provide you with training, information and advice to members and stakeholders exploring international opportunities.

Can I contact you via social media?

Yes you can. We have a dedicated international Twitter account and you can find us by searching for the handle @LSInternational. Many of our announcements relating to news and events are tweeted first so do join the 15,000 people already following us.

We also have a Law Society of England and Wales International LinkedIn Group which enables over 20,000 internationally minded members and stakeholders to come together and discuss key issues occurring in the international legal marketplace.

How do I make a complaint against a foreign lawyer?

Complaints against foreign lawyers should be directed to the regulatory body in the country in which he/she is admitted to practise. Read this article for complaints about a lawyer in another European jurisdiction.

How do I check if a foreign lawyer is genuine?

Check with the law society or bar association in the jurisdiction in which he/she is admitted.

How can I find a solicitor in other countries around the world?

The Find a solicitor service will help you find solicitors wherever they may work. The solicitors profession is a truly global one and the chances are you will be able to find a solicitor in the country of your choice.

How can foreign lawyers dual-qualify as a solicitor of England and Wales?

The Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) is a fast-track scheme for lawyers from recognised jurisdictions to dual qualify as a solicitor. Find out more at http://www.sra.org.uk/qlts/

I am an overseas lawyer/student looking to work in a foreign jurisdiction, what are my options?

This website provides practice guides for solicitors admitted in England and Wales. We cannot comment on the rules for lawyers admitted in other jurisdictions. Our country profiles do, however, provide the latest market intelligence, regulatory and representative information which may help when considering opportunities in other jurisdictions.

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing?

The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) can issue solicitors with a Certificate of Good Standing. The certificate confirms your admission date, your address, that you have not been struck off or suspended from practice, that there are no disciplinary proceedings pending against you, and that there is nothing on our records to your discredit.

Find out more at: www.sra.org.uk

Telephone 0870 606 2555

Email: contactcentre@sra.org.uk

The Law Society’s Gazette website has a section dedicated to international and UK based jobs for lawyers. Visit it here: http://jobs.lawgazette.co.uk/?=lshome.

The Law Society of England and Wales cannot offer legal advice or recommend an individual solicitor or firm. Our Find a solicitor service will help you find legal help in England and Wales.

If you need to find legal help for a problem that has arisen outside of England and Wales, or that has a foreign dimension, there are a variety of sources available: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-public/legal-help-abroad/.

Who can help me with a visa application?

Visa applications and renewals are managed by the UK Home Office. For information about the types of visa available, eligibility criteria and application details visit the UK Border Agency website.

The Law Society cannot provide individual advice about visas or immigration issues. If you have a visa issue which requires legal assistance, you should speak directly with a solicitor. Alternatively, you can use our Find a solicitor search tool to locate a firm specialising in immigration and nationality issues.