This webinar will give an overview of the developments in UK merger control in 2019 and a look at any challenges in 2020.
This presentation will provide an overview of how the CMA is adapting to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. The presentation will consider in detail how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the CMA’s work, and what approach the CMA is likely to take in its merger investigations through to the end of 2020.
Topics covered will include the impact of COVID-19 on the timing and process of UK merger investigations, as well as the CMA’s approach to information-gathering, interim measures, and substantive assessment (including “failing firm” scenarios”) to reflect these unique pressures. The seminar will also consider how COVID-19 could affect the end of transition period following the UK’s exit from the EU.
This webinar will be of interest to any competition law practitioners that regularly deal with competition authorities including the CMA.
This webinar covers:
- an update on how COVID-19 is affecting merger reviews
- current thinking on likely policy developments in 2020
- the latest position on arrangements in relation to the UK’s exit from the EU
By attending this webinar, you will gain:
- an overview of the UK merger control regime at the current time
- insights into current issues and trends in UK merger control, inlcuding both procedural and substantive updates
- insight into the role of the merger control during a time of significant economic challgenge
- a look-ahead at current policy projects
The event is free, and will be one hour long.
Colin Raftery – Senior director of mergers, Competition and Markets Authority
Colin is senior director of mergers at the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), where he leads the CMA’s team on a variety of merger cases and policy initiatives.
Prior to joining the CMA, he advised on all aspects of EU and UK competition law at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London and, before that, at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in Brussels and Washington DC.
Anna Caro – Assistant director of mergers, Competition and Markets Authority
Anna Caro is an assistant director in the mergers team at the Competition and Markets Authority.
Prior to joining the CMA, she worked as an associate at Clifford Chance in London, advising on EU and UK competition law. Anna holds an undergraduate degree in law from the University of Oxford and an LLM from the London School of Economics and Political Sciences.