On 11 June 2020, we organised a Webinar in collaboration with Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) and partner firms (ASA Associates and Link Legal based in India) on the Impact of COVID-19 on the legal sector in India and the UK as well as the Indian economy. The event was chaired by our Director of Strategic Relationships Stephen Denyer and featured the below key legal market experts:
- Rupa Lakha, Partner, Charles Russell Speechlys – Welcoming remarks
- Simon Ridpath, Managing Partner, Charles Russell Speechlys – UK legal sector
- Ajay Sethi, Managing Partner, ASA and Associates LLP – perspective on Indian economy
- Atul Sharma, Managing Partner, Link Legal India Law Services – impact on the Indian legal sector
We attracted over 265 registrations for the online event from across India, the UK and other locations. A total of 173 attendees joined the webinar from key Indian and the UK legal firms, UK’s Ministry of Justice, UK’s Department of International Trade, FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry), International Bar Association (IBA), UK India Business Council (UKIBC), top private companies from India and the UK and our legal fraternity from both the jurisdictions.
Live Polls were run during the webinar and some useful statistics were gathered on:
- Percentage of Attendees accessing the webinar based on their locations - providing a good mix of audiences benefitting from this useful discussion:
- 52% from India
- 44% from UK
- 4% attendees from other locations participated
- Biggest Challenge during the pandemic faced by businesses were identified as:
- 54% operational issues (working from home, IT, engaging staff etc)
- 26% Maintaining client service
- 20% advising on COVID-19 rules and regulations
The feedback received from the webinar has been very positive mentioning it was an informative session expertly chaired and valuable insights provided by the panellists. All the presentations made by the speakers were appreciated by the audience with encouraging views received on our social media platforms including LinkedIn and Twitter.
There was a remarkable interest on attending similar webinars in the future with topics ranging from Impact of contractual obligations during COVID-19 in India and the UK; Insurance Litigation and Access to Law in India vis-à-vis UK amongst others were suggested.
A recording of the webinar is available here to access.
If you need more information or are interested in our work done in India, please contact our International Policy Adviser (South Asia and ASEAN) Preeti.Sawhney@lawsociety.org.uk