The Law Society has worked with the property and conveyancing industry through the Home Buying and Selling Group (HBSG) to produce a pledge that can be provided to buyers and sellers in this unusual market.
- aims to reduce the current pressure on solicitors and industry resources
- indicates some tasks that buyers and sellers can perform at an early stage which may operate as a small step towards progressing transactions.
There are no new obligations on solicitors or the other professionals involved.
In addition, it could help your clients’ chances of being able to take advantage of the government’s stamp duty land tax holiday by the deadline of 31 March 2021.
What the pledge means for solicitors
The following pledges relate directly to conveyancing solicitors.
Seller’s property lawyer
- Where suitable, discuss the advantages and costs of preparing as much information as possible for the buyer at the earliest stage.
- Where suitable, check title information and provide advice to the seller about any issues that could cause delays and suggest solutions.
Buyer’s property lawyer
- Outline to the buyer the importance of obtaining a suitable level of condition-based home survey.