Proposed changes to the mental health system must be properly funded to be effective, the Law Society has warned, following publication of the Mental Health Act White Paper in January 2021.
Proposed reforms that would need substantial extra resources to succeed include:
- reducing compulsory detention
- transferring prisoners to secure hospitals within a 28-day time limit
- extending tribunals’ powers and increasing opportunities to appeal
- increasing the role of independent mental health advocates to support patients throughout their journey
- enhanced provision for community-based after-care support and treatment, together with statutory care plans
- modernised hospital environments to provide truly therapeutic environments for patients.
The government consultation closes on 21 April 2021.