On the 4 July the HMCTS hosted an online event on probate reform which was aimed at legal professionals making applications for a Grant of Probate.
The event covered:
- the online probate journey so far
- the current frustrations being experienced
- future plans for the service
- a demonstration of the new online service for professional users
- an explanation of the new paper route
The slides from this presentation are available to download on the government website.
In May 2019, the Law Society challenged HMCTS on delays to the probate service as it maintained serious concerns regarding the need for further resources to have a tangible impact on the service.
The Law Society also continue to highlight the need for improved and clear communications between local registries and service users. It felt these should include regular updates which should be consistent in frequency and content to include:
- expected turnaround time
- details of applications outstanding
- date of applications being processed
The Law Society is due to have a follow up meeting with HMCTS to review what progress has been made in addressing the problems encountered with the probate delays.