Take a look at the newest edition with updates from the CCBE. Highlights include:
- CCBE Standing Committee in Vienna
On 23 February, the CCBE held its 221st Standing Committee in Vienna
- European Lawyers Day 2017
The next European Lawyers Day will be organised on 25 October 2017, to coincide with European Justice Day. The theme for this year will be the impact of technology on the legal profession, in particular how this affects citizens.
- Defense of the Defenders Workshop
On March 30, the CCBE is organising, in conjunction with ProtectDefenders.eu, a workshop entitled “How to improve the protection of threatened lawyers worldwide? Practical tools from the EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism”.
- CCBE Memorandum on mutual recognition of lawyers’ cross border continuing professional development
At the European Presidents’ Conference in Vienna on 24 February, 40 Bars and Law Societies from across Europe signed the CCBE Memorandum on Mutual Recognition of Lawyers’ Cross Border Continuing Professional Development. The signed Memorandum can be found on the CCBE website .
- Regulation on the mutual recognition of freezing and confiscation orders
On 21 December 2016, the Commission proposed a Regulation on the mutual recognition of freezing and confiscation orders. This proposal is part of a Commission Action Plan to strengthen the fight against terrorist financing which was presented in February 2016.
- Proposal for a Directive on countering money laundering by criminal law
On 21 December 2016, the Commission proposed a Directive on the criminalisation of money laundering. The Commission believes that the current criminal law framework against money laundering in the EU is neither comprehensive nor sufficiently coherent to be fully effective
- Meeting with representatives from the Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA)
On 24 February 2017, representatives from the CCBE Criminal Law Committee had a meeting with representatives from the Fundamental Rights Agency (FRA).
- Anti-Money laundering
Amendments to the 4th AML Directive
- The breach of rule of law continues in Venezuela
The European Lawyers Foundation (ELF) is currently implementing a project on helping to re-establish the rule of law in Venezuela.