We are seeking London based law firms and/or in-house legal departments to host a Latin American lawyer for a one week placement in May
This years scheme will include lawyers from Brazil, Mexico and Colombia.
You must be able to host a lawyer for a one week placement on the 6 or 13 May (exact date is still to be confirmed), and provide a mentor to assist the lawyer throughout their placement.
The following elements should be included in the lawyers’ placement:
- Discussion of ethics, code of conduct and the challenges of practice;
- Understanding of the firm’s international strategy and priority sectors and regions;
- An insight into client relationships, both domestically and internationally;
- The opportunity to read, research and contribute to casework; and
- Participation in meetings, conferences and firm social event.
The value in hosting: Hosting a lawyer offers up an invaluable opportunity for your firm, and/or legal department to develop and strengthen your business connections in Latin America.
All of the participating lawyers should have a high standard of English and will be between 4 and 10 years qualified in their home country. Thus, in many cases, they will be equivalent to seior associate level. They are experienced lawyers who, in most cases, will be supporting themselves financially. Therefore, they will all have a high willingness to learn and establish lasting business connections.
The 2019 exchange programme
The 2019 exchange will take place in London and will run from 29 April to 17 May. The three-week programme includes:
- a bespoke academic course at BPP Law School
- placements in solicitors’ firms and barristers’ chambers
- legal seminars
- networking and social events
As mentioned, participating lawyers will have between 4-10 years’ post-qualification experience. They may work in a range of practice areas but should demonstrate an interest in international work.
How to apply
If you are interested in hosting a lawyer, please complete the form to the right of this page and send it to Stephanie Brown
- Word, Size 0.34 mb