Rule of law, legal professional privilege, and regional developments for the legal profession were hot topics this year at the 32nd LAWASIA Annual Conference.
The 32nd LAWASIA Conference 2019 Harmonisation through Synergy will bring together bar leaders, jurists, professional organisations and individual lawyers from across the region to share ideas, build professional networks and advance the status of the legal profession in the Asia Pacific.
When : Tuesday 5- Friday 8 November 2019
Where : Various locations, Hong Kong SAR
The Annual Conference is LAWASIA’s flagship event and the highlight of its professional events program. Held in Hong Kong, a city boasting one of the best city skylines and the perfect balance of east and west coming together, the 32nd LAWASIA Conference will examine a range of topics, including:
Risk management in mediation and arbitration for international and cross-border disputes
- The challenges of cross-border cartel enforcement
- The extra-territorial impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on businesses in the Asia Pacific region
- Sports contracts management and sports dispute resolution
- Fintech, cryptocurrency and initial coin offering
- Legal responsibility of enterprises for climate change and its consequences
- Employee’s protection: sexual harassment, equality and diversity
- Human rights issues in the 21st century tackled at its source
- Legal professional privilege in in-house environment – local and international challenges
- Law on child protection in a cross-border context
- Anti-corruption and anti-money laundering in the Asia Pacific region
- Enforcement of IP rights, with a focus on counterfeiting activity in the Asian region
- Age of millennials and gen-z lawyers; and more.
Please visit the conference website to register and for more information on travel, accommodation and the conference program.
LAWASIA is a regional association of legal professionals which advocates for the interests and concerns of the Asia Pacific legal profession. For over fifty years, LAWASIA has operated as a platform to promote the cross-jurisdictional exchange of legal knowledge; as a voice of the legal profession; and as a conduit for encouraging adherence to the principles of the rule of law, professional integrity and the protection of human rights.
The Law Society of England & Wales is a member of the LAWASIA Council.