The Junior Lawyers Division is holding a free one-day skills event, aimed at trainees, solicitor apprentices, newly qualified solicitors (NQs) and solicitors up to five years’ PQE. The aim is to equip those who are at the start of their careers with skills and advice necessary to progress, diversify and develop within the legal profession.
Please join us for presentations, discussion and activities which will be of value and assistance to both those who are approaching qualification and those who have begun to acquire PQE, with speakers who are highly regarded and experienced in their field. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
The programme has yet to be confirmed but previous forum sessions have included:
- Instructing third parties: building relationships with other young professionals
- LawTech: the implications for junior lawyers
- The ethical lawyer: what junior lawyers need to know about ethics, speaking out and whistleblowing
- Overcoming stigma and social mobility
- Thinking towards your future (the judiciary, in-house, partner)
- The ‘Us Too’ era: managing bulling and harassment in the legal work place
- The future of the legal profession: what next for junior lawyers?
- How to take control of your personal development and career
- Turning a passion into a career and how I achieved it.
- Soft skills: networking, negotiation, etc
Format of the day
The forum is a full day event running from 10:30 (registration at 10:00) to about 16:30 and involving a series of 45-50-minute presentations on various aspects of legal practice and career development. It will be followed by a networking reception until 18:00. Please note that these timings are approximate until the programme has been confirmed.
Who should attend the forum?
The event is for trainees, solicitor apprentices, newly qualified solicitors and solicitors up to five years qualified.
Individual 30-minute CV clinics will be running throughout the day for delegates seeking a newly qualified solicitor position. Registered delegates will be notified by email around a fortnight ahead of the event with further information and clinic appointment reservation instructions - be prepared to send an up-to-date CV with your appointment request in order to secure a place. Appointments are limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis.
Date and location details
Date: Saturday 7 March 2020
Time: The forum is a full day event starting 10:30 (with registration from 10:00), finishing at 16:30 and followed by a networking reception until 18:00. Timings are approximate until programme has been confirmed.
Venue: Central Cardiff. Venue to be confirmed shortly.
Cost: The forum is free to attend.
In partnership with the Cardiff and South East Wales JLD