Bookings are now open for this year’s International Weekend, which will take place between 27-30 September 2018 in London.
Highlights will include:
- a varied mix of technical and skills based seminars
- distinguished guest speakers
- lunch in the historic Inns of Court
- an introduction to the City of London, with a trip to a popular tourist destination
- networking events, including a black-tie gala dinner
- International Oratory Competition
International Weekend 2018 promises to give delegates fantastic opportunities to:
- meet fellow junior lawyers from across Europe and even further afield
- discover the best that London has to offer
- enjoy a stimulating educational programme
- benefit from crucial networking
Who should attend?
International Weekend is primarily aimed at junior lawyers from overseas jurisdictions, including those who may be on secondment in the UK. However, the programme will be of interest to JLD members who are welcome to attend all aspects of the International Weekend.
What is International Weekend?
International Weekend is an annual event organised by:
- The Junior Lawyers Division of the Law Society of England and Wales
- The Young Barristers Committee of the Bar Council
- The European Young Bar Association
- The London Young Lawyers Group
International Weekend provides delegates with a mix of technical and legal presentations, skills-based seminars, an overview of the legal system in England and Wales and an introduction to the City of London.
Overview of IW programme 2018
Thursday 27 September: welcome evening drinks reception hosted by the London Young Lawyers Group
Friday 28 September: morning seminars at the Law Society / visit to place of historical or popular interest / evening social event
Saturday 29 September: conference progamme continued / International Oratory Competition / black-tie gala dinner
Day events: day events are aimed at international junior lawyers. However, most day events and seminars are equally relevant to UK junior lawyers.
Evening events: evening events are aimed at both UK lawyers and international lawyers.
International Oratory Competition
The competition gives lawyers from all over the world the chance to showcase their speaking skills in a light-hearted way. It provides a great opportunity for networking and aims to be entertaining for both speakers and their audience.
Each contestant talks for five minutes on their topic - humour and satire are strongly encouraged. The prizes this year are a two-piece suit and shirt from TM Lewin.
This year’s topics are
- Vegetables have feelings - stop carrot cruelty?
- Media has spoiled our eating habits
- Black Lives Matter v Blue Lives Matter
- Why did the chicken actually cross the road?
- Middle aged parents figure out Snapchat
- Things a T-Rex can’t do with its little arms
- Socks and sandals are okay
- Pineapple is not a pizza topping
International Weekend delegates interested in taking part in the oratory competition are asked to complete the registration form and send it to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 28 September.
Join us for a spectacular gala dinner on Saturday 29 September 2018 at the Law Society in London. The black-tie event forms part of a larger event, International Weekend 2018, which is open to all, although the gala dinner is targeted at junior lawyers in England and Wales and from overseas jurisdictions.
The event is aimed at all members of the legal profession in the UK (including LPC and BPTC students, paralegals, trainee solicitors, pupil barristers, junior solicitors, junior barristers, as well as those undertaking the CILEC route to qualification), and abroad. It is your chance to network with lawyers from the UK and abroad over an elegant and fun formal dinner and dancing.
Further information and to book your place
For further information about International Weekend and to book your tickets please visit our website .
We look forward to welcoming you to London. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
In association with: