The 66th CCBE newsletter is out - read more about the following topics:
- Proposed European Convention on the profession of lawyer
On 12 October, the CCBE addressed the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe at a hearing organised on the issue of a European Convention on the Profession of Lawyer. The CCBE will organise a side event on 24 January 2018, in conjunction with the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) session, in order to highlight the recent attacks on the profession of lawyer in Europe and the need for a European Convention
- CCBE Standing Committee
The CCBE Standing Committee took place in Bordeaux on 20 October within the framework of the CNB National Lawyers’ Convention. The next meeting, the CCBE Plenary, will take place on 24 November at The Hotel in Brussels.
- FRA Report on surveillance calls for the protection of lawyer-client communications
On 23 october, the FRA published its second report on “Surveillance by intelligence services: fundamental rights safeguards and remedies in the EU” .
- The CCBE’s response to the public consultation on improving cross-border access to electronic evidence in criminal matters
The CCBE replied to the public consultation launched by the Commission on improving cross-border access to electronic
evidence in criminal matters.
- Anti-money laundering
1) European Parliament Committee of Inquiry into Money Laundering, Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion (PANA): The CCBE has been following developments regarding the European Parliament Committee of Inquiry into Money Laundering, Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion (PANA).
2) Revision of the 4th Anti-money laundering Directive: The European Parliament and the Council are carrying out ‘trilogue’ negotiations, assisted by the Commission, with a view to reaching an agreement on a revised Directive.
- Report on the “Performance review of case management at the Court of Justice of the European Union”
Readers will find attached a link here to a Report on the “Performance review of case management at the Court of Justice of the European Union” (CJEU) as prepared by the European Court of Auditors
- Criminal law
1) Proposal for a Directive on countering money laundering by criminal law: The CCBE is following the legislative developments regarding a Proposal for a Directive on countering money laundering by criminal law.
2) Proposal for a Regulation on mutual recognition of freezing and confiscation orders: The CCBE is also following the legislative developments regarding the Proposal for a Regulation on mutual recognition of freezing and confiscation orders.
- RIAD Congress 2017
The CCBE participated in the annual congress of the RIAD, the International Association of Legal Protection Insurance, which gathered delegates from various legal protection insurers from across the world. The theme of the congress was ‘Staying ahead of the Game in Legal Protection Insurance’.
- European Lawyers Day
On 25 October, European Lawyers Day took place in conjunction with European Day of Justice. Throughout Europe, CCBE Member Bars organised events and initiatives to mark this day. The Law Society of England and Wales in cooperation with the Bar Council hosted a seminar on “E-volving lawyers: how digital transformation can enrich the relationship between the citizen and the lawyer”.
- The CCBE Training Conference
The CCBE Training Conference will take place on 14 December in Brussels. Registration is open until 20 November, please find the programme here .
- Overview of the ongoing EU projects run by the European Lawyers Foundation (ELF)
ELF is currently involved in 6 ongoing projects co-funded by the European Commission
- “Idea Garage: E-Justice” Contest in Tallinn – CCBE
As part of the “Futur-e-Justice” Conference of the Estonian Presidency of the European Council in Tallinn, the “Idea Garage: e-Justice” initiative took place on 19-20 October, organised by Garage 48 in cooperation with Estonian Ministry of Justice, CIVITTA Estonia and the Estonian Information System Authority.