Claimant representatives can register to use the new online claims portal service from 22 January 2020.
To support the government’s whiplash reform programme, the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is designing a new online portal to allow unrepresented litigants to progress their own claim, whether or not they have legal representation.
How to register
You’ll need to identify your primary organisation administrator. This person will need authority to accept agreements on behalf of your firm.
To register, your administrator will need to:
- establish whether your organisation wishes to access the service by:
- web-only, or
- web and API (application programming interface)
- be ready to provide the following information about your organisation
- previous / other trading names
- company website address
- Information Commissioner’s Office registration number
- Solicitors Regulation Authority / Law Society number
- whether you’re based in the UK, EU or outside the EU for VAT purposes
- visit the Official Injury Claim website to begin the online application process.
Which types of claim are eligible?
To help shape how the service will work, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) is working with a sub-committee of the Civil Procedure Rule Committee to develop the supporting Pre-Action Protocol and rule changes.
The table below shows a summary of MIB’s plans, based on MoJ’s policy:
|Criteria||In scope||Out of scope|
|Accident location||Engand and Wales||Outside England and Wales|
|Accident date||On or after 6 April 2020||Before 6 April 2020|
|Claimant representation||Represented and urepresented||None|
|Claimant involvement||Occupants of a motor vehicle||All vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and motor cycle passengers|
|Minors and protected parties||No||All minors and protected parties|
|Responsible driver||Insured and uninsured||Untraced (hit and run)|
|Responsible vehicle||UK registered vehicle||Foreign / non-UK registered vehicle|
|Injury types||All injury types||None|
|Personal injury (PI) value||Up to £5,000||Over £5,000|
|Total claim value (PI and all other heads of claim)||Up to £10,000||Over £10,000|
To find out more about the portal, sign up for updates on the whiplash reforms programme from the MIB.