We’ve responded to the Civil Justice Council’s consultation on vulnerable witnesses and parties in civil proceedings.
The consultation closed on 11 October 2019. Its recommendations include that:
- all staff who handle civil cases are given adequate training on identifying and supporting vulnerable court users
- civil judges receive enhanced training on vulnerability
- HM Courts and Tribunals Service reviews the guidance on intermediaries in civil cases
- individual courts prepare comprehensive protocols on assisting and protecting vulnerable parties / witnesses in both civil and family cases
- the Civil Procedure Rules are amended to focus more on vulnerability.