A new CPD scheme will be introduced by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) with effect from 1 November 2016. The key features of the new scheme are as follows:
- The minimum 16-hour requirement for CPD will be discontinued.
- The SRA will no longer prescribe CPD-qualifying activities. Instead, solicitors will have more flexibility to decide on training which suits their needs and those of their employer, and there is scope for more ‘on the job’ learning to be taken into account.
- All solicitors must declare annually, when renewing their practising certificate, that they have taken appropriate measures to ensure their continuing competence.
- Basic competency standards will be assessed by reference to the SRA’s new competence statement.
- On 1 April 2015, the SRA issued a toolkit to assist solicitors in understanding and complying with the new regime.